Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Exploring













I’ve always liked getting off the beaten path and out of the rat race and go exploring down quite country roads, dirt roads if possible. There are a hell of a lot of roads in Texas not shown on a Texas road map and I think those old county and farm roads were laid out by fucking drunken cowboys on drunk horses. Get high enough in the sky and Texas must look like it has a lot of veracious veins.

Someone told me that CR 180 would take me to Brady, maybe, if I sailed like a drunken sailor, but it doubt it. It went south for a while and then swung right (no sign at the intersection saying so), I kept on going straight, went by a boneyard in the middle of nowhere where old bugs, atv’s and jet skies go to die, no idea how they find their way out there on that quite lane. Soon I came to a no trespassing sign, looked at my gps and discovered I was on a lane so back tracked to CR 180 but it was headed west and I wanted to go south.

So I hung a left on the next CR road I came to, after a while it turned and headed west also, so I hung a left on the next CR road I came to, lost track of the roads I was on but had a full tank of gas and all day to get nowhere. Had a woman been with me she might have said we where lost, na, not lost, just don’t know where the fuck we are, and don’t give a shit. Somewhere on one of those roads the water just flowed across the road.

Saw a few roadrunners, looks like they finely ran that fucking coyote to death, he’s not so Wiley now, been a few days, pretty rank.

To be continued….

3 comments:

  1. GPS is nice but I should also get a good paper map of the area to get a broader view of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! GPS is nice to get to an exact location, but old school paper maps are far better for exploring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had topo maps in Washington for wandering around in the mountains there.

      Delete