Friday, August 5, 2016

MAKE OR BUY









Sherry asked if I’m making or buying oars, I’m going to make a kayak type oar but nothing fancy, it won’t take much to move a little redneck dinghy along. I suppose it will be another two weeks or so before it hits the water, I just work on it a bit each day.

Jenny, ever seen a cardboard boat race? Some of them are built pretty good and used for some time, the kids may like that.

Been building things all my life but Gene’s trade is building things and he said that you shouldn’t buy 2X2’s, that you should buy 2X4’s and rip them into 2X2’s as you need them, won’t have as much trouble with twisting and warping that way, I’ll damn sure keep that in mind in the future.

Going to spend more than a hundred bucks, seems like prices go up more each week, two 4X8 panels was over forty bucks and a gallon of oil based paint will be thirty bucks, plus a gallon of thinner. Maybe I should have collected a bunch of free Styrofoam and made a plastic dinghy. Hum, may do that next just for the heck of it.

“It sounds like you are doing a good job.” Cracks me up when folks say things like that, no, I’m just making a lot of fucking noise driving a few hundred nails.

Hooked a nice one yesterday, can tell by the fight, but it broke lose bout half way in.

Keep on trucking, and flow over the bullshit.




6 comments:

  1. I like your idea, although it will have to be one long paddle. No messing with oarlocks that way.

    Years ago, one of my kids and a friend built a raft out of foam and milk jugs. They were both grounded for the summer after a person called us from the other side of the lake, telling us to come and get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you remember the bathtub races from vancouver to nanaimo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never made it to the bathtub races.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 8th graders here actual does the cardboard boats. Now it became a local thing.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Newport Oregon all ages build them and get in on the fun.

      Delete