Saturday, August 6, 2016

CUMING ALONG
















Decided that being as none of the materials are marine grade anyway that I wouldn’t use expensive glue/sealant, so I just used liquid nails. Today I’ll tack on the front panel and then it goes to the property for painting and the covering.

The covering is going to be a painters canvas I have, will be painted right on to the boat like they did in the old days. Gene said they used to race mini hydroplanes at the lake and they were also canvas covered. I consider it the poor mans fiberglass and it holds up very well. I have a 9X12 foot painters canvas I got at Harbor Freight a few years ago for 15 bucks so it is enough material for the entire outside of the boat.

Going to make a couple removable floorboards for it, I’m not stepping on the ¼” skin, I recall that back when there was a lot of wood boats that they had floorboards in them. I’m not impressed with the ¼” plywood from Home Depot, will never buy it again.

Keep on trucking, and flow over the bullshit.



8 comments:

  1. Could use fiberglass resin on the canvas but it is more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a pretty good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering it's where the boat meets the water, some fiberglass resin before the paint might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat will only be in the water a couple hours at a time, I don't think it is needed and I'm using an oil base paint.

      Delete
    2. Do rednecks use fiberglass?

      Delete
    3. i guess rednecks use everything.

      Delete
    4. The goal is to make one as cheap as I can.

      Delete