Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Getting old is not an option











It happens to anyone that doesn’t die young. I just can’t do some of the things I used to do so well anymore, been trying to help a young couple get an old Ford van running, most mechanics hate working on them. One problem is that he had removed the fuel pump to install a new one. Those bastards are hard to install lying on your back but I don’t have a hoist to put it up in the air with so I can work on it standing up.

But I’m a crafty old bastard with 50 years of experience at wrenching and remembered one of my old tricks. I went to the hardware store and bought a foot of 3/8 inch threaded rod and two nuts. Made two three inch studs and shoved the pump on them and then sucked it up against the block with the nuts. Never underestimate a crafty old bastard when it comes to getting a job done.

Getting weaker and less dexterous may be a given but determination and being crafty can help overcome some of that.

2 comments: