Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Oh Oh, this could be a problem.












Yesterday I went to the lot to rekit Dave’s carb. Pulled out the fuel/air delivery body and tubes assembly and one tube is cracked pretty good, the other one has a hairline crack also.

In my 20 + years as a Ford mechanic in those days I never saw a cracked tube. This one must have set out in the rain at one time and then it froze, my best guess. So I went to the wrecking yards with no luck, they haven’t seen a carb for years. Next stop Heard Brothers cuz they have all kinds of old shit, no luck.

Quick internut search got no results, not like that unit ever fails and I’m not searching an hour for a part that may not be available and costs too much, he only needs the van for a while until he gets back on his feet.

Soooo, I’m going to do the best I can, I often get away with that, the tubes are brass, I’m going to solder them and hope for the best. That is the most critical assembly in the carb so I gotta try something.

To top the evening off, on the way home from social hour my truck died on Commerce, I coasted as far as Murphy's and a couple of guys pushed me around the corner, a friend came by and towed me home. I hope it is something simple so I can get it running again today.

Wish me luck….

3 comments: