Monday, November 9, 2020

Right the first time

 I wuz right, then wrong, then right again, or sumting like dat. When I got the pan off the car and saw all the crap in the bottom of it I thought I must be wrong about it being a rod bearing (sure sounded like a rod bearing) and it must be the main crankshaft thrust bearing. After getting the bastard bolt out yesterday and removing the damn counter balance assembly I was able to check things out and it turned to be the #3 rod bearing, in over fifty years of wrenching I’ve never seen one completely destroyed but every damn bit of it, even the shell, was in the bottom of the pan.

Amazingly the crank and rod appear to still be in good shape so I’m going to replace all the rod bearings, with luck it will go another fifty thousand miles or more. I’m not going to put that damn counter balance unit back on, surprised an H.O. engine even had one on it.
Anyway, have a fucking blessed day.


No comments:

Post a Comment