Wednesday, September 12, 2018

It worked for me















A humble fucking report by Billy Cook….. As a life long mechanic I’ve never been much impressed with cooling system sealers other than as bandaids to get you home from a trip, or to a shop or parts house. Especially so called head gasket sealers, they seldom work.

For years I’ve heard of waterglass but have never seen it for sale in a parts house until recently when I was in an Autozone store. I nursed my truck along for months cuz of leaking head gasket(s), a real challenge in the Texas heat where cooling systems have to be in great shape so I bought a bottle to try just for the heck of it.

The stuff I got had what appeared to be some copper particles in it and I damn sure approve of that. When using a product like that you want to follow the instructions carefully.  And it worked, it’s been over two weeks now and is still holding. It is still just a temporary repair but can last up to two years. So it is worth a try if you have bad head gaskets as it’s expensive to replace them these days.

Anyway, in this southern heat there are other things you need to make sure of also, make sure the radiator cap is good and you are using a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze as they both raise the boiling point of water. An engine can turn water into steam in the area of the heads and the temperature gauge may not show that.

I should not have to point this out but will anyway, if a sealer does seal your gaskets be more gentle on the engine after that and avoid fast acceleration and high speeds and such.

3 comments:

  1. Now are you going to do some how to here.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not planned on but ya never know what I will post about. :-)

      Delete
  2. The only problem is that using that stuff as a temporary fix... does not really (at least in my case) reduce the stress of the worry about an imminent breakdown. I think I could use it... but even if it seemed to work flawlessly... I would still be worrying that any second the gunk would fail, leaving the vehicle worse than before.

    But, that is because I worry too damn much anyway. I know that. But, still...

    ReplyDelete